Domain names are intuitive website names. It’s the address where your visitors will be able to identify and locate your website on the internet without having to type the full name: the IP address. An IP address is a series of numbers that could be mixed with other characters. It's very difficult to remember and not practical or user friendly: this is the reason why we can identify our website with "www" followed by the name we have chosen.
It is, on the other hand, a big resposability to choose the correct name for a successful website that will give value to your brand in time.It's a task that should (and could) require some time. In the following article we will discover why it's important to choose the perfect domain name and you'll get some tips to help you.
How Do Domains Work?
The domain name system (DNS) is ultimately what makes domain work. DNS is essentially a directory of internet protocol (IP) address for the entire internet. An IP address is a series of numbers that makes it possible for computers to communicate with each other.
While we identify a website by its domain name, computers identify a website by the IP address for that domain on a server. However, typing a series of numbers to visit a website is not practical or user friendly. Instead, DNS translates the domain for a website into an IP address that a computer can understand and communicate with.
Why is it Important to Pick the Right Name?
Your domain, as mentioned previously, is how your visitors find you online. This is the reason why you have to pick a name that is easy-to-type and remember, that is unique and that will identify you. Want some examples? amazon.com, apple.com, change.org. Each one has been chosen by its owner after several considerations.
10 Tips For Choosing The Perfect Domain Name
Choosing the perfect domain name for your business or website doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Here are a few tips to help you choose a domain name to help you stand out from the pack.
1. Do your TLD research: a top-level domain (TLD) is often referred to as a domain extension. The most popular options include .com, .org and .net. You will want to make sure you use an appropriate TLD. There are hundreds to choose from and each has its own unique use case. When in doubt, consider using .com!
2. Short & sweet: choose a short and concise domain name that is easy for your visitors to type into their browsers.
3. Hyphens are a no go: avoid using hyphens within your domain name. Hyphens can create a difficult experience for your visitors typing your domain.
4. Promote your business: do you already have a business name, but not a domain? Consider using your business name as your domain.
5. Don’t make it difficult: make your domain easy to pronounce. You don’t want potential visitors to have a difficult time trying to spell your domain name or trying to remember it after they’ve heard it.
6. Think long term: pick a domain name with your future in mind. Fads are great, but you want to choose a lasting domain name that gives you a professional image.
7. Avoid legal action: make sure to search for existing trademarks before registering your domain. You do not want to build your domain and website only to run into potential legal problems.
8. Creative TLD usage: consider building a TLD into your domain name. For example, thetop.blog or myblogsthe.best are creative uses of TLDs.
9. Protect your brand: you should consider registering the most popular TLDs to protect competitors from registering alternative versions of your domain.
10. Check social media availability: there’s a good chance you will be promoting your business or website on social media. It’s not a bad idea to check to see if the domain you want to register also available username/handles on all of the most popular social network sites.
Registering Your Domain - The Verdict
There are over 100,000 domains registered each day. Even if launching your site seems like a huge task today, make sure to secure your creative domain name before someone else does!